APIs are very common in the daily world today. Have a quick look at your phone – the weather app calls an API to show you the temperature of your current city, the log-in page on your Twitter account uses the same to return the correct account, and Instagram bots use this technology to add attractive and relevant comments, etc. Here, the sky is literally the limit because even companies like NASA use APIs, for example, to detect the location of objects in space! In general, APIs increase efficiency by allowing quick access to data that can be shared easily. Because customers are getting more and more dependent on this architecture, it’s important for us to understand what APIs are? how effectively can we maintain these APIs, there comes the topic of Testing these APIs.
Just like any other type of testing, API Testing allows us to find critical bugs before the system goes live. Apart from that, there are several specific particularities of API testing – this process helps to ensure that performance, functionality, security, and reliability of software meet expectations – in other words, that the server (API) is able to serve several visitors simultaneously, return to the client, bring the exact response that was hit on the browser and so on. If this testing wasn’t performed then consequently, ineffective APIs can result in integration difficulties, poor software quality, user frustration, and revenue losses.
Postman is an API client that makes it easy to create, share, test and document APIs. Postman is very convenient when it comes to executing APIs. Postman is preferred due to its handy and simplified features. Many would be familiar with the POSTMAN tool as such but might not have a clear understanding on its testing essentials, so in this session we will try to uncover the TESTING space in POSTMAN. Topics to be covered are below:
– Know about APIs and API Testing
– Exploring the Workspace
– Get to know about sending requests and viewing responses
– Getting started with some test code, and pre-built Snippets
– End to End testing in Postman with some highlights on Mocking
– Running tests with Postman CLI
– API Contract Testing in Postman
– Basic GRPC testing in Postman
So let’s learn API Testing with POSTMAN together.
You will understand the following –
- Know about the Test Scripting in POSTMAN
- Know how the usages of connecting your workflows – End to End Testing
- Know the capabilities of running tests with Postman CLI
- Understand the API Contract, GRPC Testing in POSTMAN